Sunday, February 28, 2010
Sunday, February 7, 2010
Magnolia Project is proud to announce the launching of a semester exchange program with the University of New Orleans, beginning Fall 2010!
Participating students will enroll in two classes at UNO. One is a core class that all participating students are required to take, a sociology class on racial issues that uses Hurricane Katrina as a case study. Students are free to choose their second course. In addition to attending these two classes, students will earn
6 units of field study by engaging in a 20-hour/week internship at a community based organization. While there, students will engage in a community-based research project, which culminates in a policy paper.
Eligibility: Current 3rd or 4th year UC Berkeley undergraduates in good standing. Students are responsible for meeting with financial aid and academic advisers to ensure aid and credit will transfer!
Applications Due: March 3, 2010
For full details visit http://publicservice.berkeley.edu
Supported by Cal Corps Public Service Center
Information sessions: February 9, 11,and 17, 5:15pm, 505 Eshleman Hall, CalCorps Public Service Center
Wednesday, November 4, 2009
Welcome to Magnolia Project's fall 2009 recruitment! As you have probably learned from your friends, info sessions and this site, the Magnolia Project is a student initiated service group dedicated to the rebuilding of the Gulf Coast.
Currently in our 4th year, the Magnolia Project has sent over 200 students to the Gulf Coast to participate in thousands of hours of direct service. As someone who has attended all three of MP's previous trips, I can personally tell you that the experience it offers is unique and often life-changing. Take this opportunity to go see for yourself the devastation of Hurricane Katrina, work in solidarity to fix what is still broken and bring back a deeper perspective on how to get involved in your own community.
We have 3 initiatives:
1. A 3-week service trip that will run from May 25-June 15.
2. An 8-week internship program that places students with grassroots, government and education organizations.
3. New For FALL 2010: A semester exchange program with the University of New Orleans where you will both take units at UNO and work with a local grassroots organization. (more information will be available at the end of the semester but if you have interest, please e-mail email@example.com)
On that note, please take into account that Magnolia Project will be implementing the following changes for its 2010 summer:
- Applications for service trip participants are due December 11th.
- All service trip participants will be required to attend a 2 Unit Decal on Tuesdays 6-8 in the spring
-Internship applications are due December 2nd. (Interns are not required to attend decal).
Click Here (service trip and internship applications are now LIVE, click on the program you are interested in to access application)
Wednesday, October 21, 2009
November 16th, 7pm, Douglas Fir Room, MLK Student Union